Thursday, December 17, 2009

How to Make your own Almond Flour!!

I had been searching for almond flour to make muffins and the Chocolate Coffee Mug Cake and had been having a hard time finding. So I reached out to fellow HCGer's and got this is a reply!

When I googled the only tip I found was make sure you dont end up with almond butter!!!

Jennifer Smith Lile shared her tips of how to successfully make your own Almond Flour and I wanted to share this with others that might live in rule areas and I would assume it is more cost effective this way as well!!

Jennifer Smith Lile December 16


You can make your own:

I buy whole, raw almonds Put on a large sauce pan of water to boil. When the water is boiling dump in a manageable amount of almonds - I usually use half of the 12 oz bag at a time. Leave the almonds in for just one minute. You don't want them to cook or get soggy, just loosen their skins. After a minute dump them (or scoop them out if you're going to do more) into a strainer and run cold water over them to stop the cooking. Dump them out onto an old towel and blot dry. To slip off their skins just grasp them between thumb and forefinger, pointed end away from your palm, and squeeze. Have your other hand ready to catch because that little sucker will shoot out. When I've done an entire bag (which I usually boil during commercial breaks and pop out of their skins while watching TV) I lay them on a single layer on a sheet pan and pop them into a 350 degree oven for just about 3 minutes to make sure they're completely dry. When they're completely cooled (that's important), run them through a food processor. I actually use my coffee grinder because it gives me a much finer texture. When they're all ground I rub them through a colander, pluck out any chunks and process them again. You have to be careful not to turn them into butter. Store in a airtight container in the fridge for maximum freshness.

This sounds like a lot of hassle but the actual working time I put into it is about 1/2 hour.

Now for a recipe that is Phase 3 friendly and has Chocolate!!!  Chocolate Mug Cake


I found this on a blog by Amy Leigh.

Chocolate Mug Cake



4 TBLS of Almond Flour

4 TBLS Sugar Alternative

2 TBLS cocoa powder

1 Egg

3 TBLS Milk

3 TBLS oil (she used olive oil)

splash of Vanilla Extract

1 Large Coffee Mug



Mix all dry ingredients in mug

add egg and blend throughtly

Add Milk, Oil, and Vanilla mix

Place in 1000 watt micro for 3 minutes

(2 minutes in her 1250 Watt microwave)

Do not cover mug, cake will rise over top - do not be alarmed

Let Cool and place on plate add a little whipped cream on top.

~Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment